Grade 07 ELA - EC: E07.C.1.3.5
Continuum of Activities
The list below represents a continuum of activities: resources categorized by Standard/Eligible Content that teachers may use to move students toward proficiency. Using LEA curriculum and available materials and resources, teachers can customize the activity statements/questions for classroom use.
This continuum of activities offers:
- Instructional activities designed to be integrated into planned lessons
- Questions/activities that grow in complexity
- Opportunities for differentiation for each student’s level of performance
English Language Arts
- Define features of a conclusion in formal narrative writing.
- Recognize easy-to-use conclusions that can be used in any type of writing.
- Determine which conclusion might be most effective for a particular written piece.
- Formulate conclusions based on the narrated experiences or events.
- Student defines conclusion as an ending section that brings the narrative text to a satisfying, logical end. Students recognize that new information should not be introduced in the conclusion and that in a narrative text, any conflicts should have been resolved before the conclusion.
- Students will recognize easy-to-use conclusions that can be effective in any type of writing. Some easy conclusions in a narrative text include:
- A funny twist of events (irony)
- Introducing an unexpected event (especially useful in suspenseful narrative texts)
- A full resolution of the conflict
- A reflection on a lesson learned
- Student will identify which easy-to-use conclusion might be most effective for their writing. Depending on the task, the conclusion will vary. For example, in a funny story, an unusual twist at the conclusion might be fitting. In a suspenseful narrative text, an unexpected event or cliff hanger could be used.
- Student will create a conclusion using one of the easy-to-use conclusions or can write a different type of conclusion. The conclusion will clearly and satisfyingly bring the narrative to a resolution and will provide a logical ending based on details and events presented throughout the narrative.