Grade 07 ELA - EC: E07.E.1.1.6
Continuum of Activities
The list below represents a continuum of activities: resources categorized by Standard/Eligible Content that teachers may use to move students toward proficiency. Using LEA curriculum and available materials and resources, teachers can customize the activity statements/questions for classroom use.
This continuum of activities offers:
- Instructional activities designed to be integrated into planned lessons
- Questions/activities that grow in complexity
- Opportunities for differentiation for each student’s level of performance
English Language Arts
- Define conclusion within the context of formal writing.
- Recognize easy-to-use conclusions that can be used in any type of writing.
- Determine which conclusion might be most effective for a particular written piece.
- Formulate conclusions based on topic and task.
- Student defines conclusion as an ending section that brings the essay to a satisfying, logical end. Students recognize that new information should not be introduced in the conclusion.
- Students will recognize easy-to-use conclusion that can be effective in any type of writing. Some easy conclusions include:
- Reword your introduction in new words. Do not bring up new information in the conclusion.
- Use a powerful quote that reinforces what you have discussed throughout the paper, making a connection to the analysis provided.
- Consider using a statement such as, “Imagine a world where…” and then continue the discussion with the topic of the paper, making a connection to the analysis provided.
- Consider asking your reader a question about the topic.
- Student will identify which easy-to-use conclusion might be most effective for their writing. Have students write a brief paper and ask them to consider which conclusion might work for their needs.
- Student will create a concluding statement for task and purpose in a paper they write. Students can choose one of the easy-to-use conclusions or can write their own. The conclusion will clearly wrap up the paper and will provide a logical conclusion based on facts, evidence, and analysis presented throughout the paper.