Grade 07 ELA - EC: E07.D.2.1.5
Continuum of Activities
The list below represents a continuum of activities: resources categorized by Standard/Eligible Content that teachers may use to move students toward proficiency. Using LEA curriculum and available materials and resources, teachers can customize the activity statements/questions for classroom use.
This continuum of activities offers:
- Instructional activities designed to be integrated into planned lessons
- Questions/activities that grow in complexity
- Opportunities for differentiation for each student’s level of performance
English Language Arts
- Define diction.
- Identify synonyms for student chosen words.
- Determine synonyms for words in a text to identify other words that might achieve a different effect.
- Analyze a text for words or phrases an author used and alter those words to alter the effect of the passage.
- Student defines diction as the deliberate, purposeful word choice a writer makes in a text. Writers choose certain words because they more fully capture the writer’s intended meaning. Students should be told that when they write, they should use this strategy.
- Students will identify any synonyms for student-chosen words. Student can create a word web on paper or use one available online.
- Student will identify synonyms for words in a narrative text to find other words that might more fully convey the experiences or events in a narrative text. Student may use a thesaurus or online source. Student will recognize the subtle nuance among synonyms and will evaluate which word best suits the purpose and intent of the narrative text.
- Student demonstrates an ability to analyze a text and, through editing strategies, look to insert synonyms throughout the text to alter the effect of the passage. Student will demonstrate a firm understanding of the nuance of language to achieve an effect in their writing.