Bicycle Education Lesson Plans - 3rd Grade
Identify and describe the stages of growth and development.
- late adulthood
Recognize safe/unsafe practices in the home, school and community.
- general (e.g., fire, electrical, animals)
- modes of transportation (e.g., pedestrian, bicycle, vehicular)
- outdoor (e.g., play, weather, water)
- safe around people (e.g., safe/ unsafe touch, abuse, stranger, bully)
Recognize emergency situations and explain appropriate responses.
- importance of remaining calm
- how to call for help
- simple assistance procedures
- how to protect self
- To teach students the importance of wearing a properly fitted and approved helmet whenever they ride
- To teach students the handling and safety skills appropriate to their age and stage of bicycling
- To teach students to understand that a bicycle is a vehicle that has all the rights and obligations of any other legal vehicle on the road
- To teach students about the health and fitness benefits of cycling
- To teach students that cycling can be a healthy life-long activity that may potentially increase positively in intensity and complexity with age and experience
Lesson Essential Question(s)
A. Bicycle Safety and Injury Prevention
- Helmet Safety - 20 minutes
- ABC Hand Check - 10-15 minutes
B. Bicycle Handling Skills - 30 minutes
C. Understanding the Cycling Environment - 30 minutes
D. Cycling and Your Health - 30 minutes
E. Cycling in Your Community - varies
Suggested Instructional Strategies
Vary by lesson.