Grade 03 ELA - EC: E03.D.1.1.1
Continuum of Activities
The list below represents a continuum of activities: resources categorized by Standard/Eligible Content that teachers may use to move students toward proficiency. Using LEA curriculum and available materials and resources, teachers can customize the activity statements/questions for classroom use.
This continuum of activities offers:
- Instructional activities designed to be integrated into planned lessons
- Questions/activities that grow in complexity
- Opportunities for differentiation for each student’s level of performance
- Identify the nouns in the following sentence.
- Which of the following words is an action verb?
- Identify the adjectives that describe the underlined noun in the following sentence.
- What noun was replaced by the following pronoun?
- You will be reading two versions of the same paragraph. One version will have adjectives throughout, the other will not. Discuss how using adjectives improves your understanding of the paragraph.
- Improve the following sentences by adding adjectives.
- Students will identify the nouns in the sentence. They will mark all words that name people, places, and things.
- Students will choose the action verb from among a list of words.
- Students will show the relationship between adjectives and nouns by identifying adjectives that describe select nouns.
- Students will show the relationship between a noun and a pronoun by identifying the noun that was replaced by a pronoun.
- Students should explain how the use of adjectives helps to develop characters, setting, and the events that happen throughout the paragraph. They should show their understanding that adjectives help to create a visual mental interpretation of the text.
- Students will rewrite given sentences, adding adjectives. Adjectives should modify the nouns in the sentences appropriately, making the sentences more descriptive. Students should demonstrate adjectives that show which one, what kind and how many of the nouns they modify. The addition of these adjectives should improve the quality of the sentences.