Grade 03 ELA - EC: E03.D.1.2.1
Continuum of Activities
The list below represents a continuum of activities: resources categorized by Standard/Eligible Content that teachers may use to move students toward proficiency. Using LEA curriculum and available materials and resources, teachers can customize the activity statements/questions for classroom use.
This continuum of activities offers:
- Instructional activities designed to be integrated into planned lessons
- Questions/activities that grow in complexity
- Opportunities for differentiation for each student’s level of performance
- What words in a title should be capitalized?
- Which of the following titles has a mistake in capitalization?
- Write the following titles, capitalizing the proper words.
- Read the following titles. Check for mistakes in capitalization. If the title is correct, write correct on the line. If the title is not capitalized correctly, rewrite the title correctly on the line.
- Create a title for your writing. Be sure to follow capitalization rules for writing your title.
- Create a new title for the given passage. Be sure to follow capitalization rules for writing your title.
- Students will explain that the first word of a title, along with all of the important words should be capitalized. Words such and, as a, an, the, of, and prepositions should not be capitalized, unless they are the first word.
- Students read several titles, choosing the one that has a capitalization mistake.
- Students will write the given titles, capitalizing the appropriate words.
- Students will proofread titles, checking for mistakes in capitalization. When mistakes are found, students will rewrite the sentences with correct punctuation. Possible mistakes are capitalized words that shouldn’t be or words that should be capitalized and are not.
- Students will create an appropriate title for their writing. The title should have a clear connection to the writing, and should give the reader an idea of what the story is about. Students will demonstrate proper capitalization when writing the title.
- Students will create a new title for a passage they read. The title should have a clear connection to the passage, and should give the reader an idea of what the story is about. Students will demonstrate proper capitalization when writing the title.