Grade 07 ELA - EC: E07.C.1.2.4
Continuum of Activities
The list below represents a continuum of activities: resources categorized by Standard/Eligible Content that teachers may use to move students toward proficiency. Using LEA curriculum and available materials and resources, teachers can customize the activity statements/questions for classroom use.
This continuum of activities offers:
- Instructional activities designed to be integrated into planned lessons
- Questions/activities that grow in complexity
- Opportunities for differentiation for each student’s level of performance
English Language Arts
- Define the features of precise language.
- Define domain-specific vocabulary dependent upon subject and task.
- Determine synonyms, antonyms, and connotative meanings of words to ensure the exact meaning is achieved through word choice.
- Analyze word choice on overall meaning of essay for task, purpose, and audience.
- Student defines precise language by understanding that although words may have similar meanings, each word has its own connotative meaning. Throughout the writing process, student ensures that the exact meaning is achieved by precise language choices.
- Students will recognize and clarify domain-specific vocabulary dependent upon subject and task. Student will use dictionary or other source to ensure they understand the domain-specific vocabulary in question.
- Student will identify possible synonyms, antonyms, and connotative meaning when choose words within the essay. Student will edit and modify words dependent upon intended meaning, style, and audience. Student will recognize that although words share a similar meaning, each has its own nuanced meaning.
- Student will analyze the effectiveness and preciseness of the sentences when using those subtle variations of meaning. Student will draw conclusions about which word best suits task, purpose, and audience.